The Hispanic Minority

Protecting Minorities' Rights in International Law: Towards a ...
      Usually I do not speak about issues that are populated on the news, but as of late, I have been called "white privileged" by someone who was supposed to be near and dear to my heart. I am 100% with, and for the movement of equality for minority groups, as I am one with the minority. I disagree with one aspect of the movement that is currently happening, and that is the violent nature. Due to this view, I was called "white privileged".  This statement highly confused me, because... well... as a Latina... I am not white. So, I took an educational turn, and decided to inform myself as to how the term would relate to me. 
   
   White privilege is defined as: inherent advantages possessed by a white person on the basis of their race in a society characterized by racial inequality and injustice.
  
  As I read the definition, I paused, because well, I do not fit this definition. It is important when talking about emotional topics such as this, that you do not be quick to judge, and you really think about the person who you are talking to when speaking about this topic. To call someone "white privileged" who is not white, is not only rude, but does a number on the brain of that person. 
  
 I am going to give you a story about living in my minority life. 
  
  I live in a town on Long Island that started off primarily white. My mom immigrated to this country to be away from the violence of Guatemala. She would tell me she would exercise a lot of cardio in order to run away from riots (more on this later). My parents worked their butts off trying to make ends meet, so I was primarily raised by my Spanish speaking grandparents who knew little English. I was fluent in both English and Spanish at a young age. When I entered elementary school, I did not have say for myself, because I was young and did not know what was happening. It was when I got older that I realized what had happened to me. 

   Since I was primarily raised by my grandparents who spoke little English, I was placed in ESL (English as a Second Language). I was the only sibling (I am one of three) to be placed in that category, because I was the only one to be raised by my grandparents solely. Back then, keeping the native language was of little importance. So, by default, was "Americanized". I had lost my knowledge of Spanish. 

   Educationally speaking, if you give a child an excess amount of resources that they do not need, they will fall behind due to not meeting their educational needs. I was one of those students who fell behind. I hung out with the Hispanic classmates, as we would be pulled out together. So, we got close due to being separated from the rest of the class. 

During this time, things in Guatemala were not good. The violence was really bad, and I remember my mom talking about it, the topic traumatized me. My mom would talk about how she heard gunshots on my grandmas street when she was on the phone with her, she would say she was upset all the time because she was not there to know if her family was safe. When I was seven I went to Guatemala for the first time to meet my family. My mom told me to not speak at times, because riots were happening, and the people would know that I was American. 

Moving forward with my education, I fought my way to be academically challenged in high school. I realized something was wrong, because I knew I had great potential, but something was not clicking. I figured out it was the course work I had been given. It was too easy. I first started with my teachers, then moved on to the chair, then the assistant principal, in order to receive the equal education that I fully deserved. 

   I ended up doing really well in those courses, and that is when my real education started. Not just the average academics, but I also learned what I would face in my life being the Hispanic minority. My mom would tell me, (and still tells me) all the time to be careful with what I do, because she says "don't forget, you are Hispanic, you are not white, so life is going to be hard for you". I kind of understood what she meant, but my years above 18 I would fully understand. 

   People automatically assume I am Mexican, that does not bother me. What bothers me is how people stare at me. What bothers me is how I have to act like I am not suspicious when I get pulled over by police. What bothers me is that I am told to act a certain way. Where is my white privilege? 

   What bothers me is when I go through some of my young adult crises periods, I cannot dye my hair very black, because I look even more Hispanic. This causes a lot of stereotypical slurs when I am in public. What bothers me is that people assume I am fluent in Spanish now, after my Spanish was taken away from me in school. What bothers me is that I cannot see my family in Guatemala often, because of the violence in the country. What bothers me is sometimes I get nervous to introduce my boy friends of a different race to my family because we are not the stereotypical white family. What bothers me is my mom gets nervous too to introduce our significant others to the family, because they are used to the white family. Where is my white privilege? 

     What bothers me is when I walk my dog down the street, and I get called Hispanic slurs by an angry drunk white man, claiming I am doing something wrong. What bothers me is the violence in Central American countries, so I actively go on mission trips to educate children on violence.  What bothers me is that I am not treated the same as a white person. Where is my white privilege?

     The violent nature of these riots concerns me, especially when I see babies in strollers being brought to these riots by their parents. That is child endangerment. I don't know about you, but I would not bring my young child along with me to a riot fully knowing that they could be harmed. The very thing I do is go to El Salvador (I have gone twice) to separate the kids from the violent life that they know. Yet, here, in America, parents are bringing their children to witness violence. 

       The violent nature of these riots brings back traumatic memories of the hard times in Guatemala. The very thing that my mom came to America to escape from, is happening here and now. I am one with peace, and I support the peaceful protesters that blockaded the entrance of Target to prevent it from being looted. But I am not one with violence, as it is something that I try very hard to prevent children to be exposed to. 

          Before calling someone "white privilege", educate yourself as to what that means. What does it mean? Before you call someone an "oppressor", because they fear violence, what does an oppressor mean? Right now during these times we are very quick to judge a person based on how they view things. But, we do not stop, and listen to the person that we are name calling. We are quick to judge, but slow to understand. This is not okay. There is a difference between being these things, and being on the other side of the movement. You cannot name call someone an "oppressor" who has been oppressed all their life. You can not name someone "white privileged" who has not been privileged due to their race all their life.

      When you are quick to judge someone, you put their mental health at risk. When you tell someone they are not doing enough to support the movement, you make them question if they are enough. You are not the judge of someone's "enough-ness". You are not the judge of someone's life, because you have never walked in their shoes. You do not live in the other person's world. Therefore, you do not have the right to judge. You are not the judge of someone else's life. You are not the jury of someone else's life. You do not have the visual evidence of someone else's life. 

   While we are learning about racism, even if we are the minority, I challenge you to listen. I challenge you to not call someone who is not of the black minority "white privilege". I challenge you to hear why they might fear one part of this movement. I challenge you to think before you are quick to judge and ridicule. I challenge you to put your views aside, and have a civil conversation with another human being.

    Be inquisitive, listen, learn, educate yourself, and remember the feelings of others before you act. If you have not walked in the shoes of another minority, do not judge their views of violence, and their fear of violence. Live with peace, and think of peace. 
    

Comments