The Valentines Day Conspiracy?

Image result for quotes about loving yourself on valentine's day

A Valentines Day conspiracy? Is that even a thing? Well, yes it is. I have experienced it, and you probably have too. It is when the month of February comes, and you are automatically upset because you do not have a person to give you cute chocolates and flowers to post on Instagram. We have all been there at one point in our lives. But I think that this is a trend, a phenomenon that was created that really needs to stop. In my mind, the "holiday", which is not even a real holiday, needs to take a back seat for a little while.

The reason why I am so animate about this is very simple. If you really think deeply about said "holiday", why do we even celebrate it? There is this underlying darkness under the holiday that not many people speak about. You see, people take advantage of this one day to socially declare your love for someone. But shouldn't that  just be how things are in your relationship every day? Do you really need a day where you must get flowers for your significant other? The darkness underlying this day is something that I had experienced for a long time, and not just for this particular day, but we will talk about this day because today is Valentines Day. People who have been, or are in, abusive relationships, use this day to declare their love. Think about it for a little bit. This day is just another one of those days where the abuser will get their significant other flowers, chocolates, and a necklace that costs $150 to make up for their bad behavior that has been going on from New Years Eve until today. But don't worry.... it is totally A-O.K, because they bought you that expensive piece of jewelry and said they would never do it again. No. No it is not O.K. at all.

But what is worse than that? Well, those people in really bad relationships are posting their fake, or unfortunate love on social media. For who to see? The people who just long to have someone next to them. Now, these single people feel down on themselves and it just comes in full circle all over again. Watching people be tired. upset, distressed, anxious over such a pretentious holiday is really aggravating to me. This holiday is adorable for the small kiddos who send little cards of "I have a crush on you Amy Lu :) ", but other than that, this trend needs to end.

I think we need to make Valentines Day less of a "my love" day, and more of a "I love me day". In total reality, the mental health of our younger generations is just becoming more and more prevalent. But it is not really spoken about at all. Which is upsetting. But if we turn this holiday into a real"I love me" self care day (not the fake self care I wrote about before), I think we will be able to help and change this fact. In reality, you do not need someone to bring you flowers on a day where everyone else gets flowers if they are lucky enough. No. That should not be the case. You should wake up in the morning and say... you know what, I am going to get myself flowers today because they are pretty and I deserve them. You should not be scrolling through Instagram feeling like you are not going anywhere in life because this couple was together for 7 years and you cannot hold one hook up, let alone a relationship. It is just madness. Make yourself your valentine. Take yourself to the movies and a dinner (I do this a lot, it is quite fun and I enjoy my company). But be you. So what if you are not ready to be with someone, or you just are not running into your someone yet. That time will come. But you really do not need to surround yourself by a holiday that makes you feel worse. 

Be crazy in love with yourself. Take a picture with yourself and just adore YOU. Adore who you are, because I adore who you are. Adore the person that you are because you deserve to do so. Negative energy is catchy, like a cold. It passes from person to person to person and changes form, but never stops. Positive energy is that infamous smile. When you smile at one person, and you made them feel better so they return the favor. Each form of energy is a domino affect. But which of the two are better? Choose wisely, and choose you. Have a beautiful day, or night, what ever it may be for you! You are worthy, you are enough, and you deserve to be here :). 

Comments