The World of Penpals

I get one question all the time from a lot of people. That is, how do you find penpals? What really does it mean to have a penpal? Well, let me tell you, the penpal world is a giant world that you are missing out on.

One day I was watching a YouTuber named SnazzyAvery here is the link to the video I was watching https://youtu.be/LC-JcQTxFM4 
and I found out that people my age are using penpals as a form to communicate. I got a flashback to middle school when I was in my foreign language: Spanish class, I had a penpal from Spain. I started to remember how much I loved going to that class, and waiting for my reply from my Spanish penfriend. So I thought, why don't I explore this a little bit more on YouTube. Which is where I found two of my favorite penpal YouTubers:The Paper Letter Blog https://youtu.be/8AKiCuichnI 
and Brittany Mccowan https://youtu.be/BqyA4W6NviQ 

So after I saw these channels I got really inspired. I wanted to try and get penpals. But I then realized that I didn't want anyone to know where I lived just in case they were weird. So I went to the Post Office in the next town over and got myself a P.O. Box. After getting my box, I went on a searching frenzy on Instagram. I did hashtags like: #snailmail #penpal #penpalswanted #happymail #sendmoremail this list goes on and on. That is when I found out how big of a community the penpal life really was. Soon enough I got a lot of replies saying they would love to be penpals, now I have over 20 penpals! 

They range from all over the U.S., to Turkey, Indonesia, England, Spain, and even Belarus. I have even more countries but this is just to name a few. I also joined the website called Swap-Bot http://www.swap-bot.com/account/login.php
I found a bunch of swaps that were newbie-friendly and I even got penpals from the swaps that I have joined on there too. Here is the first swap that I am now hosting on swap-bot! http://www.swap-bot.com/swap/show/269752

You don't have to be super creative with you first letters either. I was not creative in the slightest. It took me a while to get a sense of how to be creative, and I am still learning! But this community is the best. I have grown close, very close actually with a few of my pen friends. You can also receive so many cool things as you learn about the different cultures that are even in the same country as you! Having a penpal is the most amazing thing that has happened to me in the last few months.

I will end this post here, but if you ever have any questions you can always email me at: questionseileenconnolly@gmail.com Have a wonderful (day or night whatever it is for you) and don't foret to smile at yourself!

Comments