Why Did I Become Catholic?


Something that you may not know is that I am a devout Christian. I go to mass every Sunday, am involved with a number of Catholic groups like DYA and I even volunteer and teach religious education to third grade boys. As much as all of this makes me a busy bee, I love every minute of it. But as one of the few 21 year olds that goes to church every Sunday I always get asked this same persistent question, "Why are you Catholic, church is for old people?"

It has become evident to me that when i say I am Catholic people say "oh" or "Catholicism is scary". But these comments are common misconceptions of the Catholic faith. Catholicism is actually the most giving and accepting religion to be a part of! But how did I get myself into Christianity? Well, my road was not easy or even a pretty one.

Two years ago I was at a really low point with my struggle with mental health, I do still struggle but at this point in time I was in my lowest of lows. I had attempted suicide and did not succeed, I ended up throwing up everything ingested and I did not go to the hospital even though I should have. At this point in time I was as alone as alone can get. But as noted in the story of Jonah, God comes and is very prominent when you are at your lowest. So, I had a dream. I pictured the church that I go to. Which was weird because I had only been inside the church once or twice as my parents never brought me to church. But I could see the church so clearly in my dream state like I was there. I got this rush of feelings of contentment and of love.

When I woke up the next morning of course it went away. But a few days after I kept looking at my church's website. Just thinking... what if? I proceeded with my feelings and my urges to go and as soon as I came home from college I was able to go and eventually joined the RCIA where I became a full Catholic.

Ever since I figured out why I am here, why I did not succeed and trying to kill myself. I am here because of all the people that I help every single day. I see God in everyone every single day. In the poor on the streets, in the children with disabilities that I work with, even my neighbors. I see God in everyone. My faith has helped me to really pull myself and stand myself up from where I have been. Even though I still struggle every day, I know that even if people give me trouble, even if I don't have friends, I still  have God. In the end, God is all I need.

Comments